Saturday, November 6, 2010

Dear Research Diary,

Yesterday I finally got my library card to BiASA! I had used the library (Bibliioteca di Archeologia e Storia dell’Arte) already for two papers. My first paper on Arte Povera, and my honors paper for Venetian Art. It was nice to go again though because they changed the whole system. When I had been there we still had to sign in with an ID every time and get our paper day pass that we had to return at the end of the day with all the check marks that we had returned our books. After visiting the library I stayed a little bit extra to find some nice books. I had already found Celant’s Arte Povera and some other basic texts, but this time I got out Arte Povera in collezione which has four essential essays I need to read or re-read. So it’s very useful to know I can just go in there now, and it’s right there on the open shelves.
I learned that Ammann doesn’t know what gravity is.
Later I went to the MAXXI with Alex and it was a wonderful visit. I hadn’t seen it yet but they have lots of amazing works and many many exemplars from AP. My favorite was probably the leather room by Giuseppe Pennone. Everything was very organic and strange. I wish I didn’t constantly have a cold so I could have smelled the leather and sap. Also in here was a work by Zorio, of a an ancient column crushing the inner tube of a tire, Three Rivers by Pascali and Mario Merz’s igloo with the Fibonacci sequence. Also, I made it just in time to catch Achille Bonito Oliva’s show of De Dominicis. He was very much in dialogue with arte povera but not a part of it. It’s interesting to think of why Celant chose the artists he did when there was so much going on outside, de Dominicis and Calzolari etc…
Anyway MAXXI was so big that I got “museum feet” for the first time in so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment