Wednesday, November 3, 2010


Dear Research Diary,
Yesterday I had a meeting with Ilaria Gianni. We talked about where I am right now with my research and things I should do at this point. I told her I read Notes on Guerrilla War in Conjunction with Towards a Poor Theatre and we discussed the differences, she told me to write a short paper about the socio-political ambiance of Italy at the end of the 60’s. I’ve already done this a thousand times so I’ll just take it from my head now. I was also speaking to her about the apparent differences eye-to-eye between Celant and the artists as he continued writing manifestoes and how I could possibly do something along the lines of interviewing the artists and trying to see how they felt about the situation. Because my hypothesis right now is that Notes for a Guerrilla war was kind of a death sentence in and of itself. It forced Celant to keep writing more manifestoes and tying the group together so that they couldn’t diverge on their own exploratory paths. No one can stand this sort of thing so naturally it broke apart. With the added pressures of Italian terrorism and seeing that their anti-market works were regardless, being absorbed easily into the market. Plus a figure like Pistoletto who was already a name couldn’t tag behind Celant for very long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment