Monday, October 25, 2010


Dear Research Diary,
I have finished reading Towards a Poor Theatre and written the summary for it. I think I want to compare this next to Celant’s Notes for a Guerilla Warfare so I’ll try to see if I can find this online anywhere, or maybe at the BNC! I was also thinking about exploring more in depth the changes and continuities in Celant’s manifestoes. He seems sometimes to be at odds with the artists. At the end I think part of the reason they break away is because they don’t want to be chained to Celant’s thought and essays. Plus all the artists went on to move to the states or just abroad, and “selling out” signed to huge galleries and being paid for their temporal works. I don’t think they felt the way that Celant did in a Szeeman-esque shamanism of the artist. Or even if they initially did, we all know that Manzoni and Pistoletto at least were already big in the art world before being associated with AP. Plus this is over 10 years after the Economic Miracle and there is little that can be done through art to change the world. Once AP splintered apart everyone went on to create material works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment